Last updated on July 6th, 2022 at 01:38 am
As the northeasternmost state in the US, Maine is known for its delicious seafood, rocky promontories, historic lighthouses, and charming small and mid-sized towns. Its most populous city, Portland, is home to only around 66,666 people. Its capital Augusta, is the ninth most populous city in the state, with a mere 18,705 residents. So if you enjoy quiet and solitude, Maine is an excellent place to call home.
What are some of the most famous scenic destinations in Maine? A couple well-known coastal highlights include Casco Bay and Portland Head Light. Other popular parks include Jordan Pond, Mount Katahdin, Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park. You will also want to check out some urban destinations such as the Old Port District in Portland.
While Maine is a lovely state, you may be wondering what kind of money you can expect to make there if you become a dental hygienist. Let’s find out!
Maine Dental Hygiene Programs
Can’t wait to get started as a dental hygienist in Maine? Your first step is to select a school. Check below to discover accredited dental hygiene programs in Maine.
|University of Maine at Augusta-Bangor Campus||201 Texas Ave.|
Bangor, ME 04401
|University of New England||716 Stevens Ave.|
Portland, ME 04103
Excited to join the ranks of Maine dental hygienists? Here are the licensing requirements to get started:
- Submit a self-query to the National Practitioner Data Bank and attach the results to your application.
- Submit criminal background checks for all states you have lived in over the past decade.
- Get verification for any licenses you have held in other states and provide it to the Board.
- Complete an accredited dental hygiene degree program and have your school submit verification.
- Fullfil the requirements for Mandated Reporter Training (this is specific to Maine law).
- If you have a change of address or name, you must report it within 10 days. The same goes for criminal convictions, suspensions and so on.
- Complete and submit your application. Do not use fax.
- Pay the $80 application fee as well as the licensing fee. The licensing fee is $140 for years ending in odd-numbers, and $70 for years ending in even numbers. You also may need to pay a $21 fee for a Criminal History Records Check.
- Successfully pass the National Dental Hygiene Examination and provide your scores.
- Successfully pass the Northeast Regional Board Examination and provide your scores.
- Take and pass the Jurisprudence Examination.
- Provide proof of an up-to-date CPR certification.
- If you took the regional exam more than a year before the date on your application, you may need to submit to an interview by the subcommittee.
Dental Hygienist Salary in Maine
Nationwide, the mean yearly salary earned by dental hygienists is roughly $65,500. With the field growing rapidly at a rate of 20%, this is an excellent time to become a dental hygienist, because new jobs are opening up all over the country, including in the state of Maine.
What will you earn if you are working in Maine in this field? In May 2018, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) gathered data on dental hygienists in all the states. According to that data, the approximately 1040 dental hygienists in the state are making on average $65,500. That is the mean, so it can be compared against the nationwide $73,440.
You might be concerned by that, especially when you also look at what dental hygienists in the surrounding states are making. In New Hampshire, you could make $76,860, and in Vermont, $65,160. In Massachusetts, you could make as much as $81,050.
But these salary variations mirror variations in the state economies, namely the cost of living as expressed in the price of goods, sales tax, property tax, and so on. Maine is on the whole significantly cheaper to live in than the states around it. As a result, the salary you earn here is lower.
While you might make more working in New Hampshire, you would also lose a lot of that overage through higher taxes, grocery bills and so on. So all things taken into account, Maine dental hygienists are earning a competitive salary.
|Area Name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Northeast Maine nonmetropolitan area||90||$28.37||$59,020|
|Portland, South Portland||310||$32.03||$66,620|
|Southwest Maine nonmetropolitan area||430||$31.24||$64,980|