New Hampshire is the fifth smallest state in the US, and also the 9th least populous. Nonetheless, you shouldn’t overlook it when you are searching for career opportunities in New England. Known as “The Granite State,” New Hampshire is rich in history and boasts some of the most spectacular scenery in the northeastern United States, making it a wonderful place to settle down and start a career.
The capital of New Hampshire is Concord, while the largest city in the state is Manchester. Attractions include museums and historic sites as well as a number of beautiful outdoor parks. Go hiking, skiing, or mountain climbing at Mount Washington, or explore the picturesque landscapes of Franconia Notch State Park, Flume Gorge, or White Mountain National Forest. Whatever you are into, New Hampshire is an exciting destination where you are sure to find endless diversions to keep you busy on the weekends.
Dental Hygienist Salary in New Hampshire
What kinds of career opportunities are available in New Hampshire? How much money can you make as a dental hygienist, and what does job outlook look like? Let’s take a gander at the data provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) to answer those questions.
First of all, for comparison, the mean annual salary which the BLS reports that dental hygienists make nationwide is $73,440. In New Hampshire, dental hygienists are making just a tad more than that on average, closer to $79,560 per year. Currently there are 1,360 working in the state. With a growth rate of 20%, this field should see even more job openings in New Hampshire in the coming years.
Why do dental hygienists in New Hampshire make slightly more than the nationwide average? The reason is likely that New Hampshire has a somewhat higher cost of living, and as a result, salaries are higher to compensate for that.
|Area Name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Atlantic City, Hammonton|| 220|| 40.95|| 85180
|Ocean City|| 50|| 41.33|| 85970
|Trenton|| 170|| 42.01|| 87370
If you decide to become a dental hygienist in New Hampshire, here are the requirements which you will have to meet in order to obtain your license:
- You must graduate from a program in dental hygiene which is accredited by the United States Department of Education and the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- You must take and pass the American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX) clinical hygiene exam or another clinical exam which is similar and which the Board is willing to accept. This must have happened within the past 3 years.
- You must pay the $100 application fee using a money order or certified check.
- Provide an official copy of your transcript with the seal and registrar’s signature. The school has to mail this straight to the Board.
- Pass the National Board Examination and have your original grade card sent directly to the Board.
- Provide a copy of your birth certificate (certified), or the original.
- If you have held a license in another state, you must provide a letter of good standing.
- Have your regional board scores submitted to the Board online.
- Take and pass the New Hampshire Jurisprudence Examination.
- If applying for a local anesthesia permit, submit your CDCA score, a written request, proof or course completion, and a $25 check.
- After you are licensed, be prepared to pay the $165 registration fee.
New Hampshire Dental Hygiene Programs
Now you know the requirements you need to fulfill if you want to become a dental hygienist in New Hampshire. You also have a better idea what it would be like to live and work in the state. Below, you can view a list of New Hampshire schools offering accredited programs in dental hygiene.
|Bergen Community College||400 Paramus Road S-337|
Paramus, NJ 07652
|Camden County College||College Drive, P.O. Box 200 Blackwood, NJ 08012||www.camdencc.edu||AAS|
|Eastern International College||684 Neweark Avenue|
Jersey City, NJ 07306
|Middlesex County College||2600 Woodbridge Ave., P. O. Box 3050|
Edison, NJ 08818
|Rowan College at Burlington County||601 Pemberton-Browns Mills Road Pemberton, NJ 08068||www.rcbc.edu||AAS|