New York is often referred to as ‘the State of New York’ or ‘New York State’ to distinguish the state from the internationally recognized New York City, the most populous city in the country and the economic hub of the state.
While the majority of the state’s population resides in the New York City Metropolis area and Long Island, there is much to experience outside of the superstar city. New York is much more than Times Square, and upstate New York is home to over 8 million residents.
If you’re looking for a fast paced lifestyle, New York has the best option in the country, with the international hub of New York City. However, if you’re looking for a more relaxed pace of living with an emphasis on family and community, don’t count New York out, because there are several options available in the northern part of the state.
Dental Hygienist Salary in New York
Recent links between oral health care and overall well being have led scientific researchers to encourage an emphasis on dental care. As dental hygienists are responsible for dental care, this has led to a surge in demand within the career field. Within the next seven years, the profession is projected to experience an estimated 20% growth rate, which is much higher than other professions.
With just under 11,300 dental hygienists in New York, there may be great opportunity for career development in this career field. The average annual salary in 2018 for dental hygienists in New York was $76,280, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This salary ranges, depending on the location within the state, with the salary rising alongside the cost of living. You will find higher salaries depending on the proximity to New York City; with the salary dropping the further away you are from the international hub.
Because more than half of dental hygienists work as part time professionals, it is important to note that salaries are often calculated into hourly rates. The average hourly rate for a dental hygienist was $36.68, in the state of New York in 2018. In addition to the salary packages, most dental hygienist professionals also receive benefit packages that include healthcare, retirement plan, pension, disability and time off options.
|Area Name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Asheville|| 410|| 29.05|| 60430
|Burlington|| 90|| 32.90|| 68430
|Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia|| 2170|| 34.71|| 72200
|Durham, Chapel Hill|| 320|| 33.89|| 70490
|Fayetteville|| 210|| 30.99|| 64450
|Goldsboro|| 50|| 36.05|| 74990
|Greensboro, High Point|| 530|| 33.21|| 69070
|Greenville|| -|| 28.19|| 58640
|Hickory, Lenoir, Morganton|| 110|| 31.28|| 65070
|Jacksonville|| 60|| 30.23|| 62890
|Mountain North Carolina nonmetropolitan area|| 200|| 31.66|| 65850
|New Bern|| 80|| 35.19|| 73200
|Northeast Coastal North Carolina nonmetropolitan area|| 80|| 29.82|| 62020
|Piedmont North Carolina nonmetropolitan area|| 400|| 28.82|| 59950
|Raleigh|| 1050|| 34.08|| 70880
|Southeast Coastal North Carolina nonmetropolitan area|| 320|| 33.39|| 69450
|Wilmington|| 300|| 32.21|| 66990
|Winston, Salem|| 400|| 34.54|| 71840
To be considered for a dental hygienist license in New York, you must submit an application and meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 17 years of age for dental hygiene licensure by examination; be at least 21 years of age for licensure by endorsement of another state’s license.
- For licensure by endorsement you must have satisfactorily practiced for at least two years.
- Earned a high school diploma, or the equivalent.
- Completed a New York State registered licensure qualifying or graduation from a dental hygiene college or school accredited by the American Dental Associated or its successor agency.
- Must complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse in accordance with Section 6507(3)(a) of the Education Law.
- Complete approved coursework or training appropriate to the professional’s practice in infection control and barrier precautions, including engineering and work practice controls, to prevent the transmission of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and hepatitis b virus (HBV) in the course of professional practice.
- Obtain a passing score on both written and clinical examinations.
- The Department may endorse a dental hygiene license by another state if the Department determines you have met New York’s educational requirements, passed a comparable licensing examination, have the required professional experience and meet all dental hygiene application requirements, have been licensed in another jurisdiction of the United States and practiced lawfully for at least two years (full time) and not failed a licensing examination used by the State of New York either prior to or after making application for licensure by endorsement.
New York Dental Hygiene Programs
New York has some of the best dental hygiene programs available in the nation. As you know, graduation from a dental hygiene program is a requirement for licensure in the state of New York. Below are a few options for further education opportunities, which offer dental hygiene programs.
|Asheville-Buncombe Tech Community College||340 Victoria Rd.|
Asheville, NC 28801
|Cape Fear Community College||411 North Front Street|
Wilmington, NC 28401
|Catawba Valley Community College||2550 Highway 70 SE|
Hickory, NC 28602
|Central Carolina Community College||1105 Kelly Drive|
Sanford, NC 27330
|Central Piedmont Community College||P.O. Box 35009|
Charlotte, NC 28235
|Coastal Carolina Community College||444 Western Blvd.|
Jacksonville, NC 28546
|Fayetteville Technical Community College||2201 Hull Rd. - P.O. Box 35236|
Fayetteville, NC 28303
|Forsyth Technical Community College||2100 Silas Creek Parkway|
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
|Guilford Technical Community College||P.O. Box 309|
Jamestown, NC 27282
|Halifax Community College||P. O. Drawer 809|
Weldon, NC 27890
|The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||Koury Oral Health Sciences, Suite 1611 318 S. Columbia Street, Campus Box 7450 Chapel Hill, NC 27599||www.dentistry.unc.edu||BS-DH|
|Wake Technical Community College||2901 Holston Lane|
Raleigh, NC 27610